Thursday 6 May 2010

Charlie's commentary

http://www.beingbadlectureblog.blogspot.com/

So here we can see my good friend Charlie's blog. On there one post caught my eye especially. That was her post on infidelity. She is firmly of the opinion this is indeed 'being bad'. And I must say on reflection I agree with her. She points out the emotional pain it can cause, and what acts actually constitute cheating on your partner. She does raise an interesting point however:

'The desire to want someone else other than your partner, I don't think this is so much being bad'

This poses some problems; for if she is wrong then we very often find we are being bad and unable to alter this, as much as we may try. If she is right, however, then this implies 'being bad' is in actions rather than thoughts. I must say I go with the former option, that she is not right on this one. I say this for one reason... that we cannot be pragmatic, to judge the truth of a cause by an effect. Rather, given that the cause - in this cause thoughts - are what lead to the effects, they are themselves 'being bad', for to have to cause is to have no effect. I'm sure Charlie will disagree, but that's worth considering.

No comments:

Post a Comment