Tuesday 4 May 2010

Unemployment

This topic is a little different to the other ones that I have posted. Here I speak of those who are unemployed through choice, not of the unfortunate millions who are unemployed through no choice of their own. I got the idea for this blog after seeing a Conservative election campaign poster. On it, alongside a picture of David Cameron, in big bold letters the poster pronounces 'stop benefits for those who refuse to work'. I think the key point here is to play on the animosity many feel towards those who are able to work - with no medical condition or other valid reasons not to do so - given that, after all, those who do work are eventually the ones who pay for those who don't work. This perhaps falls into another type of 'being bad' than do other subjects, for this is one that has many social ramifications as well as political. I could easily spend far much more time on this blog than I have, so I will jot down just a few thoughts relating to it, as after all, those who do not wok through choice will argue most vehemently, I'm sure, that they are not 'being bad'. On this though, however, I must disagree. I am employed, and do pay such taxes as that warrants. However I speak entirely detached from this fact, but observe the detrimental affects that this condition has on other people. This condition is unhealthy, not to the individual, but to the society that they are in. This is especially true if one has children who end up in the same condition as their parents, a underlying social trend one can observe in the less prosperous areas of towns and cities. We see a lot of crime in these areas, violent and otherwise, petty and large. That is not to say that only the unemployed commit crimes, of course the employed do. But no one can deny the link between prosperity and general lawful behaviour. So we see that not only do those who are unemployed cost money from the state; can set bad examples, but also subtly ensure that future generations are like them. These are only a few fleeting thoughts, but on the whole for those who are not employed through choice - I again emphasise the difference between those not in work through force - do indeed commit actions that are 'being bad'.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a really interesting post. I agree that some people may be considered "bad" if they are unemployed but able to work and suitable work is available. I think that this is a small minority and they should be classed as benefit cheats.

    I would suggest that sometimes it is not that they are being bad, it is that the jobs available are not good enough.

    Sometimes people may do a lot of unpaid work for others that is not recognised, such as volunteering or caring for family. The amount that they save the country by providing their services effectively for free, more than justifies them not being employed.

    Some unemployed people may seem to be that way through choice but they may have have undiagnosed learning difficulties or mental disorders.

    There are many different types of unemployed people and it is wrong to force people into jobs that are not suitable for them.

    ReplyDelete